Basic Types Of Creative Freelance Writing: An Overview For Beginners
Right now is an exciting time to be a writer. There are opportunities that developed in the last few years thanks to the Internet which can make freelance writing a full-time job for many people. You may be thinking of going into freelance writing, at least as a part-time job for now. You can choose from a number of types of writing to develop your portfolio.
- Blog Writing. Blogs need fresh content all the time. If you can develop a writing style that allows you to deliver up to 600 words of very usable content, you’re going to find some very steady clients. Being able to deliver content at least twice a week is going to move you forward.
- Product Advertising. This does not always require the same number of words but the content is critical. With 200 to 400 words you need to be able to describe the product that highlights its features, and offers a compelling call to action.
- Ghost Writing. Website owners may want to have e-books that entice people to come onto the site, and perhaps make use of offered services. Ghost writing e-books for these websites can be a fairly lucrative assignment. The challenge is you must be able to write anywhere from 5000 to 20,000 words on a given topic.
- Web Content. This is the same as the product advertising with a little different twist. Web content may be needed for landing pages and the writer has to have a good familiarity with keywords. The idea is to bring a person to the page by means of searching the results, and then keeping them there. Anyone who can do a good job of web content is going to build up a very nice portfolio of clients.
- Fiction Writing. This can also be thought of as creative writing, but the objective is to entertain readers. If you have a flair for writing romantic novels or fiction writing you may be just the person a fiction based website would like to have work for them.
As you start out being a freelancer be willing to expand and diversify your portfolio. You don’t need to do just blog writing or web content; you can do quite a few things. A freelance writer covers a lot of ground in the course of building a business. Be willing to try a few new things and learn from the experience. It can take a little bit of time, but after a while you’ll discover that your freelance writing will allow you to quit your other job and devote full time to composition.